The Virginia Assisted Living Association (VALA) is ACTIVELY involved with Virginia's General Assembly and regulatory agencies regarding issues, regulations, policies, procedures, concerns, etc. directly related to Virginia's assisted living industry.
With your support and feedback, we are able to maintain open dialogue that has led to improved legislation for the assisted living industry that benefits the providers, residents, and employees of each community!
ASSISTED LIVING LICENSURE
In Virginia, assisted living facilities are licensed by the Virginia Department of Social Services, and assisted living administrators are licensed by the Board of Long-Term Administrators within the Virginia Department of Health Professions. Below are links to the applicable regulations.
Licensure: Assisted Living Administrator
- www.dhp.virginia.gov/nha/nha_forms.htm - scroll down to the section titled "Assisted Living Facility Administrator Forms".
- http://www.dhp.virginia.gov/nha/nha_laws_regs.htm#law - Laws and Regulations for the Board of Long-Term Care Administrators including Regulations Governing the Practice of Assisted Living Facility Administrators
Licensure: Assisted Living Community
- www.dss.virginia.gov/facility/alf.cgi - click on the "Expand All" link on the website to expand the options for each category, such as Regulations, Technical Assistance, Notices, Guidance & Procedures, and Forms
ADDITIONAL INDUSTRY RESOURCES:
Support Agencies Applicable to Virginia's Assisted Living Industry
- Virginia Department of Social Services
- Virginia Board of Long-Term Care Administrators
- Virginia Board of Nursing
- Virginia Department of Medical Assistance Services
- Virginia Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program
- Virginia Department of Health
Legislative and Regulatory Processes
- Virginia's Legislative Information System
- Visit The Virginia Register of Regulations website for a comprehensive source of regulatory information that complements and supplements the Virginia Administrative Code.
- Virginia Regulatory Town Hall allows you to follow proposed changes to Virginia's regulations, including a meeting calendar and public comment forums.
- Virginia General Assembly allows you to get information on proposed legislation and on Virginia's legislators.
- Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development
VIRGINIA GENERAL ASSEMBLY
Who's My Legislator? Use this service to determine who your legislators are.