Would you like to become more involved in the Virginia Assisted Living Association? VALA members are encouraged to participate on Peer Committees. Committee members will help shape the future of VALA and the assisted living industry. Interested participants should sign up through the VALA membership portal by selecting "Committees and Groups" at www.valainfo.org.
The specific meeting and communication requirements of each committee will fluctuate based on the purposes and the requirements of the items addressed by the respective committees. Please refer to the VALA Events Calendar for dates and to register for upcoming VALA Committee meetings.
If you have any questions, please contact the VALA office at (804) 332-2111.
- Community Service Committee – Responsible for planning community service opportunities VALA staff and members can participate in. These opportunities will allow for participants to network together while doing community service.
- Compensation and Benefits Survey Review Committee – Reviews initial formatting/questions of the survey and provides feedback. Assists in the marketing of the survey to encourage participation.
- Education Committee – Assists with selection of topics and sessions for conferences and workshops, promotes attendance, and recruits sponsors that provide direct services or supplies to the assisted living industry.
- Health Care Advisory Committee – Comprised of nurses, med techs, and CNAs from the assisted living industry to assist with selection of topics and sessions for conferences and workshops relevant to the practice of nursing. Committee members will also assist with reviewing current and proposed regulatory and guidance language impacting AL.
- Marketing/Communications Committee – Develops strategies on how to communicate a non-profit message to encourage consumer involvement and investment in the organization’s mission.
- Membership Committee – Actively recruits assisted living providers and industry partners to become members with VALA and recommends improvements/changes/additions to VALA’s membership benefits.
- Nominations & Elections Committee - The Nominations & Elections Commitee will encourage and review nominations for Board of Trustees positions. The Nominations & Elections Committee will create a slate of individuals to be considered for the VALA Board of Trustees. Members of the committee must be current or former VALA Board of Trustees members and a VALA member in good standing.
- Public Policy Committee – Continues to strengthen relationships with pertinent governmental (federal, state, and county) departments, agencies and legislative bodies for the purpose of working with them in a positive manner to promote Virginia’s assisted living industry; establishes legislative goals & positions; encourages financial support of the VALA PAC; disburses information to VALA members and the public on legislative and regulatory matters; Attends political functions and meetings on behalf of VALA to educate legislators on the needs and good works of assisted living providers.
- Recognition Committee – Increases awareness and nominations for the VALA Diamond Awards and reviews and submits suggestions for improvement on VALA Diamond Awards categories, nomination requirements, award selection procedures, and award presentation procedures.
- VALA Regulatory Advisory Panel (RAP) – The VALA RAP will review in detail regulations for ALFs and for ALF staff members. We will seek feedback on amendments, additions, and deletions to the regulations, which will then be shared as appropriate with the regulatory agencies for consideration. Any VALA member or staff of a VALA member is welcome to participate in these discussions.
- VALA Bylaws Review Committee – Responsible for the creation and maintenance of the organization’s bylaws.
- Workforce Development – Responsible for reviewing current workforce requirements and opportunities that impact Virginia’s assisted living industry. The committee will make recommendations on how VALA can positively influence requirements and on programs that VALA could implement or support to improve workforce issues.