Archive May 2020
All of the articles archived for the month that you have specified are displayed below.
Urgent Hiring Need? Here's What To Do...By Julie Rupenski, President & CEO, MedBest RecruitingDo you have an urgent hiring need for senior living talent during this Covid19 crisis? Well, you’re not alone. Senior living hiring managers are super stressed right now when trying to fill an unexpected vacancy or urgently needing more hands-on-deck.
Patients' Right to Freedom of Choice in a COVID WorldThe following article is about waivers issued by CMS regarding discharge planning in hospitals.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with comments, questions, or requests for additional information.
- The hospital, psychiatric hospital and CAH must assist patients, their families or patients' representatives to select a post-acute provider by using and sharing data that includes, but is not limited to, home health agency (HHA), skilled nursing facility (SNF), inpatient rehabilitation facility (IRF) and long-term care hospital (LTCH) quality measures and resource use measures. The hospital must ensure that the post-acute care data on quality measures and resource use measures is relevant and applicable to patients' goals of care and treatment preferences.
- Requirements and subparts of 42 CFR Section 482.43(c) related to post-acute care services to expedite the safe discharge and movement of patients among care settings, and to be responsive to fluid situations in various areas of the country except as indicated below. Specifically, CMS is waiving requirements that hospitals ensure patients discharged home and referred for HHA services, or transferred to a SNF for post-hospital extended care service or transferred to an IRF or LTCH for specialized hospital services must:
- 482.43(c)(1): Include in the discharge plan a list of HHAs, SNFs, IRFs or LTCHs that are available to patients;
- 482.43(c)(2): Inform patients or their representatives of their freedom to choose among participating Medicare providers and suppliers of post-discharge services; and
- 482.43(c)(3): Identify in discharge plans any HHA or SNF to which patients are referred in which hospitals have disclosable financial interests.
MedBest New Team Member
Erica brings over 15 years experience in the Senior Living Industry. She served as a Regional Director of Business Development in Skilled Nursing and as an Executive Director for Assisted Living and dedicated Memory Care Communities. Her role as Regional Director of Business Development in Skilled Nursing consisted of overseeing clinical liaisons, admissions, and developing long-term relationships with area Hospital C- Suite as well as Physicians in each marketplace. This position allowed her to work closely with Operators to have a pulse on each facility internal strengths and weaknesses. According to Julie Rupenski, President & CEO of MedBest, “We feel very fortunate that Erica has joined us as an Executive Recruiter. She brings years of experience as a strong leader in our industry and is well-known and respected. Working with dedicated, hard-working, and experienced people such as Erica can generate remarkable results.”Throughout her career, Erica actively served on multiple committees to help improve processes related to the continuum of care to decrease penalties related to CMS guidelines. In addition, 4 of the 8 Skilled Nursing Facilities and Home Health Agencies overseen were preferred providers for the CJR/BPCI and shared data with local hospitals and physicians for monthly and quarterly analysis. She served as an avid resource to area physicians and their staff to continue to educate and improve outcomes.
Contact Erica Hutsenpiller at firstname.lastname@example.org / 727-786-0149.
Will Home Care Come Full Circle?Please do not hesitate to contact us with comments, questions, or requests for additional information.